Child Custody

At The Hyman Law Group, P.A., we understand the importance of family bonds because we are a family. And few bonds are as strong as those between parents and their children.

As our client, you can rest assured that our commitment to your children is just as strong as our commitment to you. We will help you through this difficult time with a focus on protecting and preserving your relationship with your kids.

Child Custody After Divorce: How It Works

Many people incorrectly hear or assume that courts and laws are biased in favor of mothers. This is not true. In South Carolina's child custody statutes, there is no presumption in favor of either parent. Courts are required to make custody decisions in the best interests of the child. And in many cases, that means keeping both parents as involved as possible (if they are able to co-parent peacefully, without exposing the child to frequent conflict and hostility).

Ideally, you and your ex-spouse will be able to negotiate a custody and visitation agreement with the help of your respective lawyers. This is generally the fastest, friendliest and least expensive way to determine child custody.

If you and your ex-spouse cannot agree on a plan, formal custody proceedings will likely be necessary. These often involve evaluations of each parent and an assessment of each parent's ability to meet the needs and best interests of their child (or children).

Custody Issues For Unmarried Parents

In South Carolina, unmarried fathers are not automatically granted equal legal standing. When a child is born "out of wedlock," the child's mother has custody and parental rights, but the father does not. He must generally establish paternity (if the mother does not acknowledge paternity), then petition the court for parental rights and visitation or custody rights.

Our firm is ready to help you seek continued access to your children, regardless of whether you are married or unmarried, a father or a mother.

Call Us To Speak With An Experienced Child Custody Lawyer

With an office in Conway, The Hyman Law Group, P.A., represents clients in Horry County and surrounding areas. For a free initial consultation with one of our skilled attorneys, call us at 843-438-1317 or fill out our online contact form.