Auto Accidents

At The Hyman Law Group, P.A., our personal injury attorneys can help you seek compensation if you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an auto accident caused by negligence.

We have the skills and experience to assist you in numerous types of crash scenarios, including:

  • Car accidents
  • Semi-truck accidents

  • Motorcycle accidents
  • Pedestrian and bicyclist accidents
  • Crashes caused by drunk or distracted driving

Below, we have included some basic information for anyone considering pursuing a personal injury claim.

What Kind Of Damages Can You Collect?

The term damages refers to harms for which you are entitled to compensation. In South Carolina, you can collect for both economic damages (those with a direct dollar value) and non-economic damages. Together, potential damages include:

  • Medical bills (past, present and future)
  • Lost wages due to time away from work
  • Reduced earning capacity due to disability
  • Damage to or destruction of your vehicle
  • Pain and suffering
  • Reduced enjoyment of life
  • Loss of companionship

Determining Who May Be At Fault

To recover damages from another driver, you need to demonstrate that the other driver was at fault for the car wreck. Thankfully, this is not an all-or-nothing prospect. You may still be able to pursue compensation even if you partly contributed to the crash.

South Carolina uses a legal standard known as comparative negligence. Each person or party that contributed to a car accident may be assigned a percentage of fault for the crash.

With comparative negligence, you can recover damages if you were less than 50 percent at fault. However, if a jury finds that your negligence contributed to the accident, your jury award may be reduced by your assigned percentage of fault. If you were deemed 20 percent at fault, for instance, your award would be reduced by 20 percent.

Call Today To Speak With An Auto Accident Lawyer

The Hyman Law Group, P.A., is located in Conway, and we are proud to serve clients in Horry County and surrounding areas. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a car accident, we want to help. For a free consultation, give us a call at 843-438-1317 or fill out our online contact form.